Inventory of Government-Based Family Justice Services

Interjurisdictional Support (Alberta)


Type of service
Inter-jurisdictional Support

Services offered
Legal Counsel at the Edmonton and Calgary Resolution Services act as “Friend of the Court” in the Court of Queen’s Bench for incoming applications for or to vary child and spousal support orders under the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act and for applications to confirm provisional orders granted under the Divorce Act. As a “Friend of the Court”, Legal Counsel prepare the documents that set the matter to be heard, arrange for the Respondent to be served, and appear in court on the hearing date to summarize the Applicant's evidence, to obtain evidence from the Respondent and to present the relevant law and authorities to the court. When an order is granted staff prepare the order, orders transcripts, provides copies of documents to all parties, and informs all parties of the outcome.

Self-representing parties who want to initiate an application for child or spousal support or who wish to change their current order where the Respondent resides in another province or in a reciprocating country, may obtain the proper court documents from Resolution Services, and may receive general assistance regarding completing the outgoing applications.

Pilot or ongoing service
Ongoing service

Department responsible
This is a joint initiative of the Court of Queen’s Bench and Alberta Justice and Solicitor General.

How to access this service
This service is only available through a Court application made in a reciprocating jurisdiction that has been forwarded to the designated authority.

Resolution Support Centre
8124, 8th floor 10365 97 Street, John E Brownlee Building
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 327
Tel: 780-415-0404
Fax: 780-415-0403

Resolution Support Centre
#706-S, Calgary Courts Centre
601-5th Street S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 5P7
Tel: 403-297-6981
Fax 403-297-6605

Resolution Support Centre
320 - 4 Street SW
Lethbridge, AB T1J 1Z8
Tel: 403-388-3102
Fax 403-381-3104
[ Service(s) offered ]
Red Deer
Resolution Support Centre
4909 - 48 Avenue
Red Deer, AB, T4N 3T5
Tel: 403-755-1468
Fax: 403-341-8635

Grande Prairie
Resolution Support Centre
10260 - 99 Street
Grande Prairie, AB T8V 2H4
Tel: 780-833-4324
Fax: 780-833-4325

Medicine Hat
Resolution Support Centre
460 First Street S.E.
Medicine Hat, AB T1A 0A8
Tel: 403-529-8715
Fax: 403-529-3711

Dial 310-0000 first for toll free access in Alberta.
[ Service(s) offered ]


Resolution Services - go to Child Support – Initial Application FAQS and the second item can provide more information.

No charge

Governing legislation/legislative authority
The Divorce Act
the Federal Child Support Guidelines
the Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act (ISO).

Contact person(s)
See above

Date modified: